Be Bear Aware!
We have had a credible black bear sighting at BGSL and KY Dept of Fish and Wildlife has confirmed there are bears in the area.
Following these simple guidelines will minimize any unnecessary and potentially dangerous encounters.
- Never approach a bear!
- Black bears are extremely powerful animals whose behaviors can be unpredictable.
- Black bears are very curious animals and this should not be confused with aggression.
- If a bear approaches you in the wild, it is likely only trying to assess your presence.
- Bears will often stand upright to obtain a better sense of smell.
- If you see a black bear from a distance, alter your route of travel.
- When camping in bear country, keep all food stored in a vehicle or away from tents.
- If approached by a bear- stand your ground, raise your arms to appear larger, and yell until it leaves the area.
- Never run from a bear! This will often trigger its natural instinct to chase.
- If a black bear attacks, fight back aggressively and do not play dead!
DO NOT SHOOT A BEAR JUST BECAUSE IT’S THERE! THIS IS POACHING.